Students in this course will not only build a solid understanding of the basics of astrology but learn how to immediately apply what they learn to chart interpretation, even if there is no birth time.
Instructors: Enid Newberg and Donna Young
Required texts can be found under the Fundamentals Series section of https://keplercollege.org/index.php/required-books-for-courses.
This course covers:
- An introduction to the astronomical underpinnings of the astrological chart
- Exploration of the interplay between astronomy and the astrological meanings of the planets; comparing meanings from Hellenistic to modern; and an introduction to the mythology and archetypal meaning of the planets.
- Introduction to natal retrograde planets and meaning.
- Understanding the big picture by working with Elements, Modes and Polarities; the hemispheres and quadrants, and Marc Edmund Jones modern chart patterns.
- Examining the construction of meaning within the astrological signs.
- Introduction to the astrological houses and how they are created; the meanings of the Houses and their changes over time; how to use the houses to enhance an interpretation.
- Introduction to the Major Aspects.
- Introduction to basic Dignities, Debilities, and Dispositor trees to help hone chart interpretation.
- Layering all this together to create your own interpretation without any outside resource
By the end, students will have a solid understanding of the planets and how the signs and houses modify their meaning. They will learn to evaluate what planets are highlighted in the chart based on their placement by sign and house, basic dignities and their interaction through aspects and dispositors. They will be able to synthesize this information into a basic coherent and meaningful interpretation without relying on outside resources.
Enid Newberg, MA Whole Systems Design, discovered astrology in the 1970s when she went with friends to listen to a lecture by Dane Rudhyar. From that point on she was hooked. She particularly enjoys introducing students to the dynamic aliveness of an astrological chart. She is also fascinated by astrology's history and philosophy as well as its intersection with magic, culture, and spirituality.
Enid became involved in the dream of creating an academic college where astrology would be openly taught and joined the board of Kepler College in 1993. She was president when the college first opened in 2000 through 2001. In November 2004, she rejoined the administration and was president again from 2006 until 2019. She is still a member of the Board of Trustees. She loves to teach and work with clients.
Enid is an instructor in:
- The Bridge Course for Astrological Fundamentals
- E520A Psyche and Soul: The Astrology of Identity and Character
- E520B Astrologies of Soul: Calling and Vocation
- E520C The Recurring and Evolving Soul 2nd ed.
- E522A Finding the Whole - Systems Thinking in Astrology
- M100 Chart Construction
- W101 Fundamentals I: Introduction
- W102 Fundamentals II: Interpretation Tools
Donna Young is a professional astrologer based in central Alberta. Immersed in the astrology community at all levels, she lectures locally and internationally, and helps to organize a conference in Alberta on an annual basis. Her favourite thing is getting people excited about astrology, and holds hope that it will one day be understood and accepted broadly enough that it returns to its roots as an essential part of education.
Certified as a peer group leader by the Organization for Professional Astrology, she serves on their board as Director of Publications and Canadian representative. She is a graduate of the Kepler College degree program and currently serves as Director of Operations.
Donna teaches in the following course: