Required texts can be found under the Fundamentals Series section for required materials.
Students in this course will not only build a solid understanding of the basics of astrology but learn how to immediately apply what they learn to chart interpretation, even if there is no birth time.
This course covers:
- An introduction to the astronomical underpinnings of the astrological chart
- Exploration of the interplay between astronomy and the astrological meanings of the planets; comparing meanings from Hellenistic to modern; and an introduction to the mythology and archetypal meaning of the planets.
- Introduction to natal retrograde planets and meaning.
- Understanding the big picture by working with Elements, Modes and Polarities; the hemispheres and quadrants, and Marc Edmund Jones modern chart patterns.
- Examining the construction of meaning within the astrological signs.
- Introduction to the astrological houses and how they are created; the meanings of the Houses and their changes over time; how to use the houses to enhance an interpretation.
- Introduction to the Major Aspects.
- Introduction to basic Dignities, Debilities, and Dispositor trees to help hone chart interpretation.
- Layering all this together to create your own interpretation without any outside resource
By the end, students will have a solid understanding of the planets and how the signs and houses modify their meaning. They will learn to evaluate what planets are highlighted in the chart based on their placement by sign and house, basic dignities and their interaction through aspects and dispositors. They will be able to synthesize this information into a basic coherent and meaningful interpretation without relying on outside resources.
Donna Young is a professional astrologer based in central Alberta. Immersed in the astrology community at all levels, she lectures locally and internationally, and helps to organize a conference in Alberta on an annual basis. Her favourite thing is getting people excited about astrology, and holds hope that it will one day be understood and accepted broadly enough that it returns to its roots as an essential part of education.
Certified as a peer group leader by the Organization for Professional Astrology, she serves on their board as Director of Publications and Canadian representative. She is a graduate of the Kepler College degree program and currently serves as Director of Operations.
Donna teaches in the following course:
Tamira McGillivray holds a BA in East-West Traditions & Astrology (2007) through Kepler College. is NCGR Level III Certified, the Past President of the San Diego chapter of the National Council of Geocosmic Research (NCGR), and is a certified Astro*Carto*grapher with Continuum. She is currently not only an instructor at Kepler but is also the Vice-Chair on the Board of Trustees and Admin Team. She is currently a Masters Candidate at the University of Wales, Cultural Astronomy & Astrology.
Tamira has a Professional Astrological Practice dedicated to connecting ancient wisdom to the modern world through speaking engagements, workshops, one-on-one consultations.
As a Meditation teacher, Usui / Karuna® Reiki and Holy Fire® Master (1996-2019), she studied with Dolores Cannon as a PLR/Quantum Healing (QHHT) Practitioner Level II and RYT Yoga Teacher (Through Roots & Wings Yoga Studio Vista California), Tamira is dedicated to using a variety of methods and energy techniques to meet her client's individual needs, her website is navigatingthestars.ca. Tamira has a regular meditation group practice called Inner Circle Reiki and also teaches local Astrology and Reiki Classes.
Tamira teaches in the following courses:
- Introduction to Astrology Workshop (for the very beginner)
- W101 Fundamentals I: Introduction
- W113A Practicum: Applied Forecasting in the Client Session