Instructors: Donna Young, Vanessa Lundborg
Required texts can be found under the Fundamentals Series section for required materials.
Students in this course will not only build a solid understanding of the basics of astrology but learn how to immediately apply what they learn to chart interpretation, even if there is no birth time.
This course covers:
- An introduction to the astronomical underpinnings of the astrological chart
- Exploration of the interplay between astronomy and the astrological meanings of the planets; comparing meanings from Hellenistic to modern; and an introduction to the mythology and archetypal meaning of the planets.
- Introduction to natal retrograde planets and meaning.
- Understanding the big picture by working with Elements, Modes and Polarities; the hemispheres and quadrants, and Marc Edmund Jones modern chart patterns.
- Examining the construction of meaning within the astrological signs.
- Introduction to the astrological houses and how they are created; the meanings of the Houses and their changes over time; how to use the houses to enhance an interpretation.
- Introduction to the Major Aspects.
- Introduction to basic Dignities, Debilities, and Dispositor trees to help hone chart interpretation.
- Layering all this together to create your own interpretation without any outside resource
By the end, students will have a solid understanding of the planets and how the signs and houses modify their meaning. They will learn to evaluate what planets are highlighted in the chart based on their placement by sign and house, basic dignities and their interaction through aspects and dispositors. They will be able to synthesize this information into a basic coherent and meaningful interpretation without relying on outside resources.
Donna Young is a professional astrologer based in central Alberta. Immersed in the astrology community at all levels, she lectures locally and internationally and helps to organize a conference in Alberta on an annual basis. Her favourite thing is getting people excited about astrology, and holds hope that it will one day be understood and accepted broadly enough that it returns to its roots as an essential part of education.
Donna practices a fusion of traditional and modern techniques and has a degree from Kepler College where she is a current faculty member and Director of Operations. Donna served as an OPA board member, is a peer group leader, a contributing author to The Professional Astrologer, and is OPA’s western Canadian Satellite Representative. As a Cree Metis, she is fascinated by indigenous star culture, and gardens using the cycles of the moon as her guide.
Certified as a peer group leader by the Organization for Professional Astrology, she serves on their board as Director of Publications and Canadian representative. She is a graduate of the Kepler College degree program and currently serves as Director of Operations.
Donna teaches in the following course: